Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How do I apply for a job with the Town of Colma?

A: Job openings are announced via:

  • Town’s website
  • LiveWire (Town newsletter)
  • Job Hotline – 650.737.8110
  • Professional websites, publications and journals ie:  Jobs Available, CalJobs, Craigslist

Recruitment brochures and Town employment applications are available at Town facilities including Town Hall, Sterling Park and the Community Center.  Employment applications may be downloaded from our website or you may call 650.997.8300 to have one mailed to you.  Applications cannot be submitted on-line.  A completed Town application must be received by the published deadline to be considered for employment.

Q:  When is the next meeting of the City Council?

A:  The regular meeting of the Colma City Council is held on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month. Additional meetings will be scheduled as needed. To view the most current Council Meeting Agenda click here.

Q:  How do I apply for a Colma Identification card?

A:  To be eligible for the resident rate, residents must first obtain a Town of Colma ID card by completing the  adult Colma ID card application and/or  youth Colma ID card application and providing Recreation Services Department Staff with  proof of residence.  Cards are valid for one year from the date they are issued.  For more information on Colma ID cards please call the Colma Community Center at 650-985-5678.

Colma Youth ages 0 – 4 do not need a Colma ID Card and may participate in Recreation.

Q: How do I rent one of the Town facilities for an upcoming event?

A:  For facility rental information, click here or call 650.985.5678.

Q: How do I open a business in Colma?

A:  Contact the Colma Planning Department at 1190 El Camino Real, or call us at 650.757.8888. We will give you valuable information about your new business such as permit requirements and business registrations or click here to view our brochure "Starting a Business in Colma".   Click here to download and print the current Business Registration Application.

Q:  What types of home repairs require a building permit?

A:  Almost all repairs require some type of permit from the Colma Building Department.  If you are replacing windows, removing, repairing or constructing walls, remodeling a room or replacing plumbing, you will need a building permit.  Painting does not require a permit.  Please call 650.757.8888 for more information. 

Q:  What can I do about a neighbor who is building without permits, not maintaining his/her yard or has junk on their property?

A:  Visit the Planning Department at 1190 El Camino Real or call 650.757.8888 to report construction or work that you believe may be conducted without a permit or property that has not been maintained.  Your complaint can be placed anonymously.

Q:  What do I need to do if I want to prune or remove a tree?

A:  If you are located in the Sterling Park residential neighborhood, you will not require a tree removal permit.  However, you may not prune or remove a street tree anywhere in Colma.  If you live in the Verano or Villa Hoffman neighborhoods, you may not remove a tree without first obtaining permission from the Town of Colma. Call the Planning Department at 650.757.8888, if you have any questions. 

Q:  Where can I find information about affordable housing?

A:  The Town of Colma owns a senior housing complex and one below market rate single family unit.  Contact the Town's contracted property management company, Hildebrand Properties at 650.755.0610 for rental eligibility requirements and for availability information.  San Mateo County has many additional affordable housing resources available that can be viewed here or at Heart of SMC.

Q:  Where do I pay for a ticket I received?

A:  For a Town of Colma Traffic Citation you can go to the traffic court window at the Traffic clerk's office at 500 County Center, Redwood City, CA 94063

or call them at 650.877.5355.

For a Town of Colma Parking Violation citation you may pay by mailing a check or money order payable to The Town of Colma.  Mail in the envelope provided.  Write the citation number on your check or money order, and mail to: OFFICE OF PARKING VIOLATIONS P.O. Box 9003, Redwood City, CA 94063-9003.  Do not mail cash.  For additional information please phone 800.352.7567 or visit

Q:  How can I contest a parking ticket?

A:  You must contest the citation within 21 days of issuance.  Failure to do so may result in the loss of your right to contest the citation.  You may contest the citation by requesting an initial review by writing, telephoning or appearing in person.  You must provide your reasons for requesting the initial review and include any documentation relating to your appeal.  You will be notified by mail of the results of the review. You will also be provided with information on how to request an administrative hearing, if you are not satisfied with the results of the initial review. 

Q:  How do I obtain information about the crime rate in Colma?

A:  The Colma Police Department activity log is available for viewing in the Colma Police Station located at 1199 El Camino Real.

Q:  How do I obtain a Colma Resident, Merchant, or Guest Parking Permit?

A:  The Town of Colma has restricted parking hours applicable to B, C, D, E, F Streets and Clark Avenue.  Unless you are a qualified resident or merchant fronting one of these streets and hold a valid permit, you may not park longer that two hours between the hours of 8:00 am and 9:00 pm Monday-Saturday.

Qualified residents and merchants may acquire permits at the Colma Police Department.

Resident Permits:
You may acquire a permit for each vehicle that is properly registered to your Colma address.  Please bring your Colma ID or Driver License listing your Colma address and your current vehicle registration to the Colma Police Department.

Merchant Permits:
Each employee of a business located in the preferred parking area may acquire one permit for the principal vehicle used in the business.  The permit will bear the vehicle license plate number and will not be transferable.  Please bring your current vehicle registration to the Colma Police Department.

Guest Permits:
Two guest permits may be issued to each qualified dwelling unit and to each qualified merchant business, without a green zone, fronting one of the streets in the preferential parking areas.  Guest permits are valid only for the year noted on the permit.  Guest permits cannot be used for vehicles registered to a Colma address.    

Q:  Where is Wyatt Earp buried?

A: Wyatt Earp is buried in Hills of Eternity Cemetery.  Click here to view Map to Wyatt Earp's Final Resting Place.

Q:  Where can I find a list of Colma's cemeteries and famous underground residents?

A:  Click here to view a list of Colma's Cemeteries or our Famous Underground Residents.









  • 2017 Town Wide Garage Sale

    It's not too late to sign up for the 7th annual Town Wide Garage Sale, which will be held on

    Read More
  • Changes to the Town’s Solid Waste Service Effective September 1, 2016

    The Town of Colma recently went through an exhaustive process to collapse our three waste hauler contracts into one. Following

    Read More
  • 2016 Hazard Mitigation Plan Available for Review!

    Planning and Police Department staff have been working with San Mateo County and their selected consultant, Tetra­Tech, on an update

    Read More
  • Recreation Activity Guide Now Available!

    The Summer Recreation Activity Guide is now available. Click here to view the brochure.

    Read More
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

The Search feature searches the website only and does not access all linked documents.  


Council Agendas

Upcoming Events

Social Media

Like Us on Facebook “Colma Recreation Services” and follow us on Twitter @TownofColma


Preview site